About my research

My research was set in the context of the European Commission’s eTwinning initiative and it looked specifically at the use of eTwinning Learning Events (non-formal learning). It examined how the community influences the development of teachers’ competence in online collaboration and discourse, and it considered the contribution of social aspects and online moderation.

I am very grateful to my supervisor, Dr. Julie-Ann Sime from Lancaster University, and to my eTwinning soulmate, Tiina Sarisalmi, for their invaluable support. And to my examiners, Prof. Marilyn Leask from the University of Bedfordshire and Dr. Don Passey from the University of Lancaster, for their valuable advice.
Keywords: online learning communities; community of inquiry; online collaboration; content analysis; social presence; social ties; teacher training

Sunday 1 April 2012

Preparing for Networked Learning 2012

It is hard to believe that my last post was in October 2011. Time flies.

So what have I been doing? Well in a nutshell, keeping my nose to the grindstone writing my thesis.The good news is that I have almost completed a first draft - just finalising the conclusions. The not-quite-so-good news is that I am at 67 000 words and the limit is 50 000. So I have some fine tuning to do. Actually this should not be too difficult. Looking back at what I wrote in September last year I can see how my style has developed and how I can be more succinct. Moreover, it is only when you put the individual chapters together that you see repetition.

I am aiming to complete a first full draft for the end of April, for submission in May and viva probably in June. Fingers crossed; so far it has been a larger elephant task than I had imagined, however its nice to see the end in sight.

Next week I present my results again, this time at Networked Learning 2012, in Maastricht. My presentation is ready and available here: http://www.slideshare.net/holmebn/holmes-online-learning-communities-nl2012. It is similar to the one I gave in BERA last year, however updated to reflect more of my current thinking.

If you are attending NL2012 say hello. I am also looking forward to meeting other members of my cohort in Maastricht. It's going to be a fun week!

Brian.

No comments:

Post a Comment