About my research

My research was set in the context of the European Commission’s eTwinning initiative and it looked specifically at the use of eTwinning Learning Events (non-formal learning). It examined how the community influences the development of teachers’ competence in online collaboration and discourse, and it considered the contribution of social aspects and online moderation.

I am very grateful to my supervisor, Dr. Julie-Ann Sime from Lancaster University, and to my eTwinning soulmate, Tiina Sarisalmi, for their invaluable support. And to my examiners, Prof. Marilyn Leask from the University of Bedfordshire and Dr. Don Passey from the University of Lancaster, for their valuable advice.
Keywords: online learning communities; community of inquiry; online collaboration; content analysis; social presence; social ties; teacher training

Sunday 14 October 2012

Final thesis: Online Learning Communities for school teachers' continuous professional development

For those of you interested in my final thesis, please find a link here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73078359/Holmes%20PhD%20Online%20Learning%20Communities%20CC.pdf

I've added a Creative Commons licence so it may be freely circulated.

It is now being printed and bound. I look forward to receiving my copy when I go across to Lancaster in December for the graduation.

You might have thought that I would now have plenty of time on my hands. On the contrary, I am busy  converting my paper from last year's Networked Learning conference into a chapter of a forthcoming book. It is an honour to have been chosen but also quite a challenge.

I've also submitted a paper for peer review for a forthcoming special edition of the European Journal of Education due for publication next year. In this I have focused on the teachers' CPD aspects of my research and the implications for policy.

I also have in mind to find a suitable conference to present my conclusions, preferably outside Europe to give it a wider audience. If anyone has any ideas, do please let me know.

Brian.



No comments:

Post a Comment