About my research

My research was set in the context of the European Commission’s eTwinning initiative and it looked specifically at the use of eTwinning Learning Events (non-formal learning). It examined how the community influences the development of teachers’ competence in online collaboration and discourse, and it considered the contribution of social aspects and online moderation.

I am very grateful to my supervisor, Dr. Julie-Ann Sime from Lancaster University, and to my eTwinning soulmate, Tiina Sarisalmi, for their invaluable support. And to my examiners, Prof. Marilyn Leask from the University of Bedfordshire and Dr. Don Passey from the University of Lancaster, for their valuable advice.
Keywords: online learning communities; community of inquiry; online collaboration; content analysis; social presence; social ties; teacher training

Friday 28 May 2010

eTwinning Professional Development Workshop

I am really sorry that I am missing the PDW in Sardinia this week. It would have been a good opportunity to have met face-to-face with some of the teachers who are using the Learning Events and Groups.

I produced a presentation giving some of the results of my online survey folloing the Learning Event on web 2.0 (see link). I hope people find it interesting and look forward to receiving feedback.

Brian at home in the UK with his family

2 comments:

  1. Hello Brian,
    I hope everything is ok with your family now.
    I had a look at your presentation and found it thought-provoking on more than one level... I for sure would have enjoyed your company in Villasimius! Slide 10, about the role of eTwinning ambassadors, especially caught my eye - and while I think we should let all the other ambassadors in my country know about what happened at the workshop in an official and NSS-prepared way, I can't help but wondering whether, for instance, replicating an eTwinning Learning Event locally could start as a personal initiative. I would be extremely interested in your position on this.
    Daniela.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniela, many thanks for your concerns. I hope you found the workshop useful.

    I feel sure that if local representative of an NSS would like to replicate a Learning Event it could be arranged. The main thing is to have someone behind the initiative with the interest, drive and determination to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete